Saturday, March 28, 2009

Just Part of the Body

The tightness in my chest when I breathe is getting better. No, I didn't have a heart attack, but this flu certainly set me back a bit. I'm tired of coughing, I'm tired of the nagging headache, and I'm really tired - just plain tired - of being tired all of the time.

Fortunately I was going to take some days off to spend time with family over the Spring break, so I am not missing any any work that I was planning to do. But I did have plans to do things other than lie in bed and cough....

Of course, with all of this time to do nothing, I tried to think. Thinking is difficult for me even when I am not sick, so it was a struggle to get anywhere with my train of thought (that was supposed to be a pun, in case you were wondering). Because my mind was so filled with my condition, I remembered something in 1 Corinthians 12. Verse 26 says, "If one member suffers, all the members suffer with it..."

I certainly agree with that. Even my muscles - even the ones that are not directly involved with my incessant coughing - are aching with this illness. While the primary area attacked is the lungs, the rest of the body didn't get off without some negative impact.

That is the way it is with God's people. If something happens to one, it affects all. Whether it is something to rejoice about or something that brings pain, we all share in it. That is the way it is supposed to be. It's not just that we feel the pain, we also share the burden of the pain.

I have felt that, especially when I have been in the "valley of the shadow." What I have felt is the support that comes from the rest of the "body," and the promise that we will go through it all together. That is what has been such a blessing with the Prayers of Faith - each part supporting the whole .

I don't know what is going to happen this week, but I am assured that no matter what occurs, there will be a hundred people that are committed to supporting the rest of the body with their prayers.

You know, I'm feeling better already!

God bless you abundantly!

No comments: