Saturday, April 4, 2009

Understanding God...

This may be more thought provoking than most of my blogs.... Or it may just be mindless drivel.... I will leave that up to you to decide.

I would be the last one to think of myself as an intellectual, although some have accused me of drifting over to the "pseudo-intelligent" category. It's not a matter of a lack of intelligence - God has blessed me with enough "smarts" to make it this far in life - it's more that my wisdom has been gained in the school of hard knocks. It's an excellent school, but one from which I doubt I will ever enjoy the pomp and circumstances of graduating. However, through it all I have had my share of "aha" moments, and what I want to discuss today is one of those epiphanies.

Before I go any further, let me say that it is very possible that you will say, "That's not anything new to me." I agree with Solomon - "there is nothing new under the sun." So this is not new, but just seen from an angle, a perspective, that I have only recently allowed myself to view.

I've been thinking about God. I realize that God is God, and He can do whatever He wants. But something in my mind tells me that God wants to be understood. I can fully relate to that, because in my job I am so often misunderstood. It would be such a blessing if someone could see my actions and connect my true intentions - but that is asking too much (I realize that even as I ache when my actions are despised and I am touted as an ogre). If it affects me that much, how does God feel?

The Bible makes it clear that God is the same, yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 12:8). While some of you may say, "Wait, that refers to Jesus Christ," let me remind you that Jesus Himself pointed out that He and His Father were One (start reading in John 14 and you will find multiple verses to support that thought). So the Old Testament God is essentially the same One who said, "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out." (John 6:37)

And if the Old Testament God is not a God who forced His people to worship Him (on threat of death, as it seems in many cases), how do I reconcile the stories that I have heard for so many years? How do I lovingly interact with a God who killed off nations just because they stood in the way of the Israelites?

I have to go back to the beginning. What was God's intention in creating us? How could a God who can see the end from the beginning (Isaiah 46:9,10) make children that He knew would turn their backs on Him? How could He look forward and see the evil that would abound and not flinch when He breathed into Adam the breath of life?

I think our view of God has been too limited. We have attempted to put Him into a box - whether it is a box titled "Tyrant" or a box called "Meek and Mild." But I believe that He is neither. I have to come back to the question, "Why?"

The best explanation I can come up with centers on a trek by a father and son up the mountain. The father was heartbroken because he knew that he was going to sacrifice his son. As much as he hated the thought of doing it, he couldn't conceive of not obeying - not doing what God had asked him to do. As it says in Hebrews 11, "By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac...."

And I see God standing in the wings saying, "Do you see that this story is representing me? I am the One that is giving up my Son - except there is no angel that is going to stop the hand that will nail Him to a cross. Just like Abraham doing this because it was the right thing to do (obeying), I am doing this because it is the only thing that My loving nature will allow. You may judge me by your human standards, but My standard is all about love and redemption. And this is the only way that I can bring My children back into a relationship with Me forever."

It may not be a new concept for you. But I believe that we are living in an age when people will again misunderstand the acts of God. When the comforts of this life are washed away, when the lives of friends and families are snuffed out, when the world is falling apart at the seams, will people see God as a loving Creator, or as a beast that wants to destroy? Will we be able to look beyond the now to realize that God is standing up to take those who have chosen to be His children to the home that He has prepared for them?

I pray that my faith will go beyond my sight, and that I will never give up on the God I have learned to love even when He is putting me through trials - even if it costs me my life or the life of my friends and family. Because I believe that God will still - today - do whatever it takes to return us to His original plan of having His family back together. And the enemy will never again take His children from His grasp!

God bless you abundantly!

No comments: