Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Gathering of Friends...

Today I was blessed...

I often feel that I am blessed, so feeling blessed was not something that I felt was unusual. The time spent, however, was not something that I usually do, so that part was unusual.

Are you confused yet?

Today I was able to spend time with friends that I had not connected with for probably 19 years. They came to visit some of our mutual friends, and my wife and I were invited to share lunch with them. We enjoyed food and fellowship and laughter as we remembered things that had lain dormant in our minds for many years. We shared what had occurred in our lives since we had been together, and marveled at how God had led us down various paths.

The best thing was that our growing relationships with God monopolized our discussions! We rejoiced in victories and empathized with each other for those times when we struggled. We reconnected on levels that only believers can understand. And we yearned for that day when Christ will come to redeem us and take us home.

And I thought - we are all members of a displaced family. We live in a world that is not now our home. We travel roads that take us places that are not where we desire to be. We are thrown into situations that are foreign to us - dealing with a world that is so different from our dreams. And when we meet up with our "family" we connect with kindred spirits that are seeking a new home just like we are.

That's what I felt when I spent time with old friends today. But I also felt that when I spent time with new friends in Saipan. I made connections with people I had never met before and felt like we were long lost friends. The times we shared then were equally as amazing as the hours that rushed by today.

Suddenly I realize that I can't wait to meet all of my friends! I want to go home - to my real home - and be with those who have shared this journey, even though I was not able to walk by their sides. I want to throw my arms around friends who struggled just like I did and were victorious through their connection with our Saviour. Most of all, I can't wait to fall before my Lord, tears streaming down my cheeks in gratitude for the love that He has put in my heart, and thank Him for giving me a chance to hang out with all of my friends for eternity!

You are my friend. As you read this, know that I am praying for you. I can't wait to meet you, to stand by your side, to share joy and laughter for an eternity of amazing celebrations that our God is planning for us.

Will you accept the invitation and be there with me?

God bless you abundantly!

1 comment:

Demonslayer004 said...

It's always nice to see your friends again. But to see ALL of them in heaven will be even better. You can be with all your friends all the time there.