Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Cat's Life

It's obvious that there is no shortage of cats around our place. Even now I see one perched on the railing, looking through the window and wondering why I am sitting here instead of feeding him. We actually started out with one cat, who had some kittens (but only one of those remains). The rest of the "tribe" showed up from wherever cats come from and seemed to feel that this was as good of a place as any to get a meal.

Usually there are nine cats waiting at this time of day outside of the sliding glass door....

They are outdoor cats, mostly because of allergies (they don't seem to be allergic to us, but some of us don't fare so well when they are in the house!). But once in a while the original cat slips in, and I don't have the heart to put her out.

That's what happened last night. When I opened the door, Maddie leaped over the other cats and was suddenly an indoor cat. I poured her a small bowl of cat food, and she settled down to a peaceful supper.

I was busy working on finding verses for this week's Prayers of Faith when Maddie came over to socialize. She perched on the back of the couch behind my head and purred while I looked through my Bibles. She was content just to sit there and enjoy the closeness.

And I thought - that is how I want to be with God. I want to be so comfortable with Him that I can come into His presence at any time, any place, and just forget about the cold reception that the world sometimes gives me, or the problems that I have to deal with every day, or the challenges that lay just beyond tomorrow.

That's when I smiled. I already have that! God has given me a special time that He has set aside for me to just rest in Him. I don't have to stress over the past or worry over the future. I can completely trust in Him to take care of everything.

It's true that I can (and do) go to Him at any time, but He has set aside a special day just dedicated to hanging out with Him. I always know that I can have that 24 hour period of time that is totally dedicated to renewing my friendship with Him and my fellow man. I don't even have to sneak in or jump over any other cats to get to Him - He actually welcomes me and holds the door open for me.

It can be pretty tough outside for the cats. It gets cold sometimes, and there are the wild animals and the cars and lots of things that could hurt the cats. But Maddie wasn't thinking of those things last night. Last night she was just happy to be with the family that loves her.

And I am thankful to have this special day with my Savior!

God bless you abundantly!

No comments: