Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Wind in my Face

I have a reason this is late....

I know - you are going to say it is just an excuse. And perhaps you are right. But I made a choice that took me away from my computer at the time I had planned to sit down to write my blog. But today my chair was empty, and I was gone.

It started when a friend said, "Do you have anything planned for this afternoon?" At first I hemmed and hawed - I knew I had to get my blog written and find the quotes for "Prayers of Faith" this week. Then he said, "We are going for a ride this afternoon and would like it if you and Toni could come with us."

That was all it took.

After a hurried lunch I pulled the car out of the garage and started up the motorcycle. It ran just fine, so we grabbed our helmets and jumped on the bike. We rode over to our friends' house and met up with some others, and ended up having a most enjoyable afternoon.

So while I wasn't sitting in my house typing up my thoughts, being out in the open with the wind in my face didn't keep me from thinking. Can you believe I was thinking of heaven and the new earth?

You see, to me heaven is not a place where we sit on clouds and strum harps. Oh, there will be music, but such music that will swell up from our very souls and fill us with joy like we have never experienced here on earth. We will worship God for all that He has done for us, and I believe that our praise for Him will only grow over the years as we understand more of what His sacrifice means for us.

But I believe our lives will be far more fulfilling than we could ever experience here and now. We might think that what the world has to offer is pretty amazing, but "eye has not seen" what God has in store for us there.

And beyond the things that we will be able to do is the fellowship that we will be able to enjoy with each other. We will be able to connect on a level - so pure and encompassing - that will far surpass anything that we have experienced on earth. We will truly understand what it means to be "a friend that sticks closer than a brother."

Today I was with friends, and we were able to enjoy a common passion. I was blessed to ride through the country side, watching the deer jumping the fence as we cruised by, seeing the hawks circle in the clear sky, feeling like I was at peace. But heaven has so much more to offer me than even an afternoon with friends on motorcycles.

Now here's what I really want to feel: The wind in my face as I am leaving this earth to meet my Savior! "And so shall we ever be with the Lord."

That's the ride I am truly waiting for!

God bless you abundantly!

No comments: