Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Best Laid Plans

It was one of those days. ...

I'm sure that you have experienced a similar one in your life. It started out with the alarm clock gently reminding me that it was time for me to get up and go to the gym. My body, on the other hand, gently reminded me that I had not had enough sleep with all my tossing and turning throughout the night, and that I could certainly benefit from a couple more hours of rest. The mental tug-of-war continued for the next few minutes; unfortunately, the alarm clock won this round.

I quietly got out of bed, trying not to waken my wife from her own night of restless dozing. I put on my workout clothes and gathered more clothes for work. The cats were meowing at the kitchen window, so I fed them on my way out to the car.

It was still dark outside, and the 20 minute trip into town was uneventful. I tried to see if there were any Great Horned Owls sitting on telephone poles, but all I could see were the silhouettes of large crows as I passed by.

As soon as I got to Main Street I knew something was wrong. Normally at 5:00 in the morning I would see 10 or more cars parked in front of the gym, even on a Friday. But there were only 3 cars there, and as I pulled up, I could see that there were people still sitting in their cars. A quick glance towards the gym told me that whoever was supposed to be there to open the doors at 4:45 had experienced a different outcome with his or her battle with the alarm clock.

I waited for several minutes, but after a while I, along with the other would-be exercisers, started up our engines and drove away. I went to work.

Sometimes we have such wonderful plans for our lives. Think of some of the Bible greats. So many of them had decided where their lives would lead, and then something happened that changed everything. Paul, as Saul, was destined to be a great leader in the Jewish tradition, but ran into a brick wall when he tried to ignore the prodding of the Holy Spirit. His life ended in chains - a prisoner in Rome because he proclaimed the very Man he had tried to destroy. Peter was going to be a fisherman, but ended up giving his life for an itinerant Preacher. Most of the apostles suffered a similar fate.

Then there was the rich young man who was drawn to Jesus, but went away sorrowful because he couldn't bring himself to part with his possessions. Of course, we can't forget Judas, who had such opportunity as he spent day after day at Jesus' feet, yet in the end could not even stand himself for his betrayal of his Master.

And what of your life? Has it gone the way you anticipated? What detours have you taken? Are you currently in the very place you want to be, or is there more you want to accomplish?

It has become a common text, but it still bears repeating. Jeremiah 29:11-14 has some interesting points that it makes, and they all apply to our lives today. First, nothing is a surprise to God. He says, "I know the plans I have for you - the thoughts for your future that are in My mind." Remember that God is saying this while the Israelites are in exile. That's not where they were supposed to stay. God says, "I see your future, and it is full of hope."

What facilitates this change? Verses 12 and 13 say, "Then you will call upon Me and pray to Me and I will listen and answer. And you will find Me when you seek for Me with all of your heart."

Have we fully found God - do we know Him intimately? Are we seeking Him with all our hearts? Is He the most important relationship in our lives?

Verse 14 says that when we find Him, then He will free us from captivity. He will bring us back home.

Perhaps you had great plans for your life, but the cares of the world got in the way. It's not too late to go back home. We can still find Him if we seek Him, and He will bring us back to the place He has prepared for us - and not us only, but all those who seek His appearance!

Are you willing to see what plans He has for you?

God bless you abundantly!

No comments: