Saturday, June 6, 2009

Who Loves Ya, Baby?

I'm not sure that I am fond of funerals, but there is something about a funeral that appeals to me. Don't misquote me - saying a final goodbye has always been agonizing, and even if I don't know the person that has passed away, I always leave with tears in my eyes.

What I appreciate is the fact that people get up and say things that are wonderful about the deceased. They remember all of those times when the person was vibrant, funny, and full of life. They share stories that bring back that person from the dead - figuratively speaking. They remember the very best.

Why do we have to wait until someone passes away before we feel the freedom to recall all of the best things about them? Why can't we just plan on regular celebratory events that would focus on lifting up those we love?

Yesterday I was able to arrange a surprise party for my wife. It was her birthday, and with the help of some very good friends we were able to bring people together from different parts of her life (church and work friends) to just shower their love and appreciation on her. It was a fun time that she will remember forever. She has been talking about it all day, shaking her head in disbelief that those people would care enough to do this for her.

On Monday my daughter comes back from her year in Saipan. She has fallen in love with the children that she worked with, and they in turn have fallen in love with her. She said that one child hugged her around the neck so tightly and didn't want to let go. That embrace will stay embedded in her mind for many years to come. The child never held back his love.

So who do you love? Who has touched your life so significantly that you want to recognize them? What is holding you back?

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have every lasting life."

God never held back for you...

God bless you abundantly!

No comments: