Saturday, May 2, 2009

Money, Money, Money!

This is not a subject that people like to talk about. Oh, we are fine talking about what new "toy" we just bought, or the extravagant trip we are planning, or maybe even how our stocks are doing in the market. As long as we are controlling the "dough," we are okay bringing it up in a conversation. We can even throw a bill or two into the offering plate without thinking about it. But what is truly responsible use of the financial resources that God has given us?

What I am talking about is giving. How do we determine how much we should give? Do we wait for the right "need" to arise before we open our wallets, or do we have a plan for giving that takes the heart out of it? Is it a calculation of percentages, or is there something more involved with the way we should give?

There are interesting stories in the Bible about giving. In fact, someone said that Jesus spoke about wealth and finances more than He spoke about other subjects (I need to research that one for myself before I am convinced!). But it is true - He did say a lot about the topic of giving and wealth.

Remember the story of the rich young ruler? He had so much going for him, but when it came to parting with his possessions, he couldn't give them up. For me, I don't think that would be a problem - not because I am better than this young man, but because I don't have anything that is that nice. If the house burned down I would miss some things, but most need to be replaced anyway.

But I don't think it was about how good or great his possessions were - I believe it had to do with the giving part. You see, maybe he didn't have a problem with love for his possessions. Perhaps his issue was with having all of that money when he sold them, then having to turn around and give that money to poor people who never did anything in their lives to deserve it (and probably are just lazy). There is a sense we all have of doing what is "right," and this doesn't feel "right." Maybe if Jesus had said, "Put all of these poor people to work on your estate and pay them for the work that they do, and then come and follow Me," the story would have ended differently. But that's not what Jesus said.

What do you do when you see the man standing on the street corner with his hand-lettered sign. You've seen him there many times before, so you know that he is not just "trying to get enough money to get a bus ticket back home," even though that is what the sign says. Do you make a judgement and find him guilty? In your heart do you say, "He's not going to take advantage of me!"

You may be right. This man does not deserve a portion of your hard-earned cash. (I know what I am talking about, because I have had this conversation in my head many times!). There are two questions that have recently arisen in my mind. First, if this person is not deserving of my charity, do I go out and immediately look for someone that does deserve to be helped? If I have a few dollars to share, do I actively search for someone to help, or do I usually pocket the money for a rainy day? Second - what difference does it make if this man is really needing my money or he is just trying to scam me? There is the whole thing about "casting pearls before swine," but even if I know that he doesn't deserve to be helped, does that give me the excuse not to help him?

This is what I have been thinking about: I am the least deserving when it comes to salvation. I have turned my back on God so many times, misrepresented Him, and lived a life outside of the relationship that He wants to have with me. Even though I have been the enemy of God, it was at that time that He sent His Son to die for me. Even though God knew that I didn't deserve to have His love and forgiveness, that is when He gave it to me.

Don't get me wrong - I am not saying that the love of money is not a root of evil. But what is it about money that affects people, and what is the effect that occurs? Could it be that the people who have money (the amount is really immaterial) place themselves in a position of judging others, and, using the power that money gives, determines who gets and who doesn't get?

Remember the parable that Jesus told about the people working in the vineyard? The owner paid each person the same, no matter how long they had worked. The ones that had been there all day said that it wasn't fair. But it wasn't a matter of being fair - it was an issue of the one group judging the others and determining that they didn't deserve to get what they got.

I'm still thinking about this concept. I have to ask myself - what will be my reaction when I see the next person that doesn't deserve to receive my help? What will I do?

What would you do?

God bless you abundantly!

No comments: