Saturday, May 9, 2009

Busy Day...

Last night I was writing a letter to my son Josh. I specifically had set the evening aside for that task - I didn't have anything else scheduled to do. As I was writing I realized that my pen was going faster and faster. I would literally tell myself to "slow down," and as soon as I turned my back (so to speak!) my pen would be going a hundred miles an hour again!

Here's part of the conversation I had in my mind.

"Why are you doing this? You don't have to rush, and it's okay to relax a bit. You're writing like you are in a race. Just let it go - relax!"

I started thinking about my week. It had been crazy busy, and I still had lists of things that I needed to get done. It reminded me of a song I have on an old record (yes, the vinyl kind - circa 1980) by Chuck Girard. The chorus goes like this: "Busy day, busy day, busy busy busy day, busy busy busy busy day (and then it repeats the same line again, but I think you get the picture!). What has always amused me (and I am sure that it was intentional) was the fact that even the chorus, as "busy" as it is, doesn't say anything. Like perhaps the busyness of my life not saying or meaning anything...?

Does that describe your life? Do you feel that you are on a runaway train that is gaining speed and heading to certain destruction?

How did we get here? What happened? When you were growing up did you dream of rushing through life, never taking the time to experience the blessings that God has for you, not having a dynamic relationship with friends and family, nor developing an eternal friendship with our Savior? Do you think that this is God's wish for you?

I don't know what your life is like, but for me I believe that God has something better in mind. Here are a few things that He wants to share with me (and possibly you):

"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27

"Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10

"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." John 17:33

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." Matthew 11:28 - 30

"Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him." Psalm 37:7

And while on this earth I may not fully experience all of the rest that He has planned for me, I know that soon He will be coming to take me to a place where I can rest in His love eternally. Where all of my burdens will be gone forever. Where I will enjoy true peace.

I would love to spend that time with you....

God bless you abundantly!

No comments: