Saturday, January 31, 2009

Early Morning Musings...

It's strange to see the clock in the corner saying it's 2:22 a.m. My mind keeps telling me that I am supposed to be asleep in my bed, but my heart won't let me rest. Thoughts fly around freely, flitting from one topic to another, without form or even function. They're just thoughts, random and often not even significant, but occasionally one lands that grabs my attention and gives me some substance on which to chew.

I question myself - am I worried? Am I concerned? Am I afraid? I can't actually say that I am any of those. While it's hard to describe, I guess the best I could say is that I am contemplative. Even while I write that I feel it gives me more credit than I deserve. But it's close....

What occupies my mind so early in the morning? My children always are in my thoughts. Perhaps this is another opportunity for me to raise them again up to God and offer their lives to Him, not unlike Job did for his kids. They too have their contemplative times, and their trials, and their joys. Lord, please bless them today.

My wife, who has been my support and strength through so many trials, is on my heart. She has given so much of herself for others, and strives so hard to be a light shining for her Father in Heaven. Oh God, bless her and fill her with peace as she sleeps.

I think of my parents. I love them and need to connect with them more to let them know how I feel. Lord, be with them today.

I think of each person on the Prayers of Faith list. I pray for them and thank God for them. They have given me such joy as I have seen their prayers unite together to move mountains and their faith in our Father transform lives beyond my belief. Lord, please come into their lives today and bless them.

I am reminded of the families in Saipan, those whom I will be with in less than 3 weeks. The children at the school have been on my heart so much these last few weeks, and I have prayed that the Holy Spirit will prepare both my mouth and them to receive the message that comes from God. I am amazed that I have this opportunity to share what is bubbling over in my heart, and praise God for His goodness in giving me this chance to let my light so shine. Abba, Father - bless this upcoming Week of Prayer.

My work flies through my thoughts - deadlines and challenges and most importantly, people. Lord, You know the hurting, damaged lives that are out there - ones that the devil is systematically destroying. How it pains me to see what is happening to them - how it must kill You! Do you ever look down at the scars in Your hands and wish that Your children could fully understand what You have done for them? Lord, send Your Holy Spirit to guide them as they sleep, and draw them with Your everlasting love today.

So many more things bounce across the synapses of my brain. Friends, both old and new, flash through my thoughts. Where are they? More importantly, where are they in their relationship with You? Do they also look at the events that surround them and see the culmination of this earth's history, like a locomotive racing to its final stop? Have they taken the time to refresh the only relationship that really matters for eternity? Father, I cry out to you for my friends!

My Bible is at my side, and I turn the pages to familiar friends - those passages that have comforted me on so many occasions. I am guided to Psalm 121. My eyes pause on verses 3 and 4: "He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep."

It comforts me to know that I am not the only person who is awake....

He also comforts me with verses 7 and 8: "The LORD shall preserve you from all evil; He shall preserve your soul. The LORD shall preserve your going out and your coming in from this time forth, and even forevermore."

I claim this promise for all of my family and friends.

I am so blessed!

God bless you abundantly!

No comments: