Saturday, December 27, 2008

Restoring old cars...

Ah, Christmas! Even after all of these years, there is still something special about tearing the wrapping off of a present. It's not that I am so much into getting gifts - I would much rather give than receive - but there is still something exciting about surprises (good surprises) that makes opening presents a joyful experience.

This year I had seen a car magazine that had some interesting articles in it and was about to purchase it when my wife said that she would get it for me for Christmas. I nearly forgot about it until weeks later I found it under the tree - wrapped in the brightly colored Christmas wrapping. When I tore off the paper I remembered why I wanted the magazine, and have read pretty much all of the articles by now. It was one of my favorite presents (picking it out for myself didn't hurt the surprise at all!).

What I like about the magazine is that it is all about restoring a car and making it better than it was originally. Some purists might say that the modifications go against the "restoration" of the car, but I appreciate how the changes make the car more contemporary while retaining the original lines of the car.

And believe it or not, it made me think of what God is doing to us.

I'm like one of those old cars. They didn't get the greatest gas mileage originally, nor did they have the most comfortable ride. That was when they were brand new. My life is pretty similar. Just like those old cars, when I came into this world I had my own flaws - a sinful nature that was passed on from generation to generation. Even at my best I was no good.

Then through the years I thought I was improving, but "life" seemed to be hitting me pretty hard. I got dinged here and there, and even with some paint to cover the problems, I knew that under it all I had body filling and even some rust. There were times when my spiritual life was barely managing on a few cylinders, and I didn't have a generator to keep the charge up on my battery. Sure, there were times that I got a jump start, but it never seemed to last very long.

Then Jesus came into my life. He said that He was going to make all things new - and even better than the original. So He started working on me. And I tried to help, but I messed things up more than ever. But He never gave up - He just picked up the pieces that I gave Him and started straightening them out again.

He's still working on me. Sometimes, like at the beginning of a year, I am more focused on letting Him make the necessary changes, and I hand over the keys to my life. That's when I see more progress. Then sometimes I take the keys back, and even pick up the hammer and try to straighten a fender here or there - and nearly destroy everything. But He is always willing to pick up the tools and start again - if I let Him.

This new year, as we enter 2009, I pray that we all will be willing to allow God to perform a transformation in our lives, that the changes will be seen by all around us, and that they might "glorify our Father in heaven."

Just like with those old cars in the magazine, that's the restoration that I am looking forward to seeing in my own life.

God bless you abundantly!

No comments: