Saturday, December 20, 2008

Immanuel

I can't seem to go anywhere these days without seeing something that reminds me of Christmas. Whether it's the stores with all their decorations or the sales that confront me with the fact that I really need this or that item for that "special" person, the season is full of reminders of a significant celebration.

While the businesses are careful to wish me a "Happy Holidays" greeting (in their attempts to avoid anything that could be construed as religious), I discover that it's getting harder and harder to find anything religious in the Christmas season. Even those organizations that seem religious in nature are jumping on the bandwagon when it comes to reaping the benefits of a commercialized Christmas.

I have to be honest - I enjoy the decorations of lights and holly in our house. While the tree still is devoid of ornaments and tinsel (that's a task for later tonight!), it now has a few packages scattered around its base. All the stockings are hung by the chimney with care, even though only one child will be coming home for Christmas - some traditions are hard to break! And I must admit that this year I have enjoyed the Christmas music on our local Christian radio station more than in previous years, and the recent Christmas story at church brought a tear to my eye.

But I have still felt an emptiness when it came to celebrating this year. So I went back to the source - back to my Bible. It was there, in Matthew 1:23 (quoted from Isaiah 7:14), that it all came together for me. "Behold, a virgin shall be with Child and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel, which is translated, 'God with us.'"

That's when it hit me! It wasn't about a Baby born in a barn. It wasn't about the three wise guys giving their expensive gifts. It wasn't even about a group of angels singing to some quaking shepherds. It was about a God who loves us so much that He could not stand being away from us! It was about a God who wanted to be know by the name Immanuel!

I love the words of the song by Michael Card, Immanuel:
Immanuel, Our God is with us
And if God is with us, Who could stand against us?
Our God is with us - Immanuel!

And that is the beauty of it all - It wasn't about then, it is about forever! Not a God who came then and went away, but a God who is still with us, and has every intention of being with us throughout eternity.

That I can celebrate! I can rejoice in a God who came as a Child only to stay as my Savior and Friend! That is something that I can rejoice in throughout the year!

God bless you abundantly - and Merry Christmas!

No comments: