Saturday, November 29, 2008

Songs...

What is it about music that can reach places in my mind that nothing else can touch? Is it the combination of sounds with the words that grasp my very soul and take my emotions to heights that I never imagined could exist? Why am I created to experience these feelings more acutely than others around me, and to feel like I am transported by the very melodies that I hear?

Those who know me are not surprised when they see tears falling from my eyes when I hear a song. It seems that most inspirational songs were written to express what I have witnessed - what has happened in my life - and I am again amazed at what God has done for me in spite of my sinful ways. Whether it is Fernando Ortega singing the old hymn, "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent" or Big Daddy Weave bringing glory to God's name with "Audience of One," music has always touched my life.

It's no surprise then to have this song find me at a time when it seemed that my world had fallen apart. Written by Bart Millard, Barry Graul, and Peter Kipley of "Mercy Me," the words made me realize that in spite of what I was going through, I needed to keep singing and let God and the music heal me.

Another rainy day
I can't recall having sunshine on my face
All I feel is pain
All I want to do is walk out of this place
But when I am stuck, I can't move
When I don't know what I should do
When I wonder if I'll ever make it through
But I gotta keep singing
I gotta keep praising Your name
You're the One that's keeping my heart beating
I gotta keep singing
I gotta keep praising Your name
That's the only way that I'll find healing
Can I climb up in Your lap?
I don't wanna leave
Jesus sing over me
I gotta keep singing!

I don't know where you are in your life right now, but I would imagine that there is something that is unsettling, something that keeps you awake for a few more moments than you wish when you lay your head on your pillow. Some memory from the past or a worry over the future. Some fear for your family, or a desire for a friend to find a saving relationship with Christ. Whatever it is, we all have something. As Jesus said, in this world we will have tribulations.

But He also said to be of good cheer, because He has overcome the world. And for me, one of the best ways to celebrate that victory is through music. In spite of what is bothering us, we need to focus on the joy that is found in praising God for the victory, even if we have not yet experienced it!

So here's your assignment: First, read Psalm 150. It's a short little chapter, but it will get you started in the right direction. Second, find a song that speaks to you - a positive song that expresses what you want to facilitate in your life, even if you don't feel it right now. A song that touches your heart and lifts your spirit in praise to God. Third, keep that song in your heart. Use it to remind you of the God who loves you so much that He can't wait to be with you for eternity!

And keep on singing!

God bless you abundantly!

No comments: